IT asset disposal, hard drive disposal/destruction
Proper disposal of computer/IT assets is fast becoming an issue confronting all retailers. The EPA estimated that in 2005 the US generated 2.63 million tons of e-waste, but only 12.5% of that was collected for recycling. The other 87.5% went to landfills and incinerators, despite the fact that hazardous chemicals in them can leach out of landfills into groundwater and streams. It is also estimated that as many as 150 million obsolete computers are being stored by businesses who do not know how to dispose of them (www.computertakeback.com).
These increasing numbers pose numerous issues for retailers such as confidentiality of corporate and client data and recycling of bulk raw materials to meet the stringent environmental regulations. Retailers also have to be aware of "Sham" recycling – where firms strip the electronics of valuable metals and then dump the reminder of the parts into landfills or ship it overseas.
tekservePOS understands the challenges associated with Asset Disposal and provides services that meet EPA and PCI compliance standards while helping retailers yield maximum value for their assets.
tekservePOS’ Asset Disposal solution provides:
- Minimization of data security risks with complete PCI compliant data wipes and hard drive crushing solutions
- A Disposal Waiver and Certificate of Liability that guarantees all parts of the equipment are recycled to EPA standards.
- Management and participation in a re-marketing process that includes:
- Fixed price takeout.
- Shared-revenue sale.
- No-cost option.
- Scrap services.
- Data overwrite and logistics process.
- Establishing an asset recovery process.